Friday, January 30, 2009

Blankie Bathtime

When I was little I had a favorite blanket. I still remember exactly how it looked and felt. It had yellow and white checkers with a turtle of multiple colored fabrics in the center of it. It had a yellow ruffled edge. I would drag it around the house where ever I went and would sleep with it every night. I wore it so thin that the batting inside disappeared completely. It was so cuddly and it made me feel so safe and happy. Oh, how I LOVED my blankie. Well, I have two little boys who are attached to two little blankies each. They sleep with them every night and bring them to breakfast each morning. They pull them around the house, inside and out. When Royce gets sad he runs to his room calling for his blankies. Jad has a strange habit of spreading his white one out over his pillow and laying on top of it, then covering himself with the blue fuzzy one. Needless to say, these blankies could use a wash just about every day. But because of the endless pile of laundry that accumulates at our house, I only get around to washing their blankies about once a week.
AND TODAY WAS THE BIG DAY...We call it GIVING THEIR BLANKIES A BATH. They stand by the washer and try to find their blankies swishing around inside. When the washing is finished they insist on switching their own blankies to the dryer to dry.Lots of giggling and random yells of "I see mine!" "There it is!" "That's mine!" "No, that's mine!" "No, that's mine!" so on and so forth...Finally, their blankies are back to their original color, they are warm, they smell nice, and they are fluffy again. Two happy boys with blankets and one happy mama.

3 comments:

Eric said...

That's so cute! Jack has a fav blaknie too, but its like a battle to get the blanket in the washer. I have to sneak it from him while he's playing and hope its done by the time he notices.

Amy Asay Keele said...

So sweet, Ra! They'll remember that moment together at the washer always. Too cute those boys! I actually rarely wash Liam's blankie--every time I do it comes out with more holes in it. It's a loosely knitted one (not the blankie I was hoping would become "blankie") and he likes to pick holes in it. I patch the holes every month or so, but it's disentigrating (sp?). Washing it is going to make it go faster, so I just don't.

MYLA said...

I love when there blankies smell so nice thanks for whashing the mom!